The name Lamaster is French and is derived from the names Le Maistre or La Maistre. Both of the French forms mean “The Master”, where Le is the masculine form and La is the feminine form.
De La Maistre descended from the ancient house of Brittainy, Sieurs de la Garlaye, in the parish of Derval, in the Diocese of Nantes, in France.
The first records are of Arthur Le Maistre, Sieur of Bois-Vert, who was the Chamberlain to John II, Duke of Brittainy, and lived from 1286-1312.
John Le Maistre was President of the Parliment of Paris under Henry IV. Henry IV ruled from 1580-1610.
The mother of Antoine Le Maistre (1608-1658) was the daughter of Antoine Arnauet who was a Jansenist. The Jansenists were a religious group which started about 1650 in France. They were persecuted and many fled to the Netherlands.
Many Le Maistres were French Huguenots. This religious group of French Protestants were founded about 1512. In 1661 they were prohibited from preaching, and a religious war followed.
In 1572 the Massacre of St. Bartholomew’s Day was carried out and many Huguenots were murdered. In 1598 the Edict of Nantes was issued by King Henry which gave the Huguenots religious freedom. In 1685, Louis XIV repealed the Edict, and again many Huguenots were put to death. They fled France by the thousands, going to Germany, England, Netherlands and America. Many settled in Virgina, Maryland, South Carolina, Massachusetts and New York. Among some of these were Le Maistres.
As the Le Maistre name became nationalized, it gave rise to such names as:
The name LeMaster became regionalized into variations like:
One of the Le Maistres was Claude Le Maistre who went to Holland and then came to America in 1652. He settled at Flat Bush, Long Island. His wife was Hester Du Bois. Claude and Hester had 6 children: John, born 1653; Abraham, born 1656; Isaac, born 1658; Susanna, burn 1660; Hester, born 1662; James, born 1665.
In Memorials of the Huguenots, under the list of the French nobility, families of Patrician Rank from Nobility of Normandy is listed Le Mastire immigrants as coming to America in 1688. Under the general list is John William Le Maistre, burn 1690, and came to America in 1748.
Another was Abraham Le Maistre (our ancestor) born about 1637 in Ste. Marie’s Parish on the Isle of Jersey in the Channel Islands to John (probably Jean) and Sarah Le Maistre. He came to Maryland before 1669 and settled in Charles Co. in 1700. He patented Le Master’s Delight, Betty’s Delight, and a number of other tracts as named parcels of land.